Search This Blog

Loading...

Buddhism in the News

Loading...

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Dalai Lama Supports Medical Marijuana.


From Agence France-Presse:
The Dalai Lama weighed in on Mexico’s marijuana legalization debate on Tuesday, telling an audience that he backs the drug’s use for medicinal purposes. The Tibetan spiritual leader, speaking at an event hosted by former Mexican president Vicente Fox, said that “the exception” for smoking marijuana would be if it has pharmaceutical virtues. [link]
For eons, marijuana has been used medicinally by humans to treat ailments. Historically, marijuana has been legal for use up till only recently. Ironically, legalizing marijuana will simply return it to its historical status of acceptability. Marijuana truly is a miracle drug as it alleviates so much suffering from a plethora of conditions. It helps relieve my chronic depression to the point of saving me from suicide a few times. In addition, medical marijuana blunts the aches and pains of my bursitis to enable my body to meditate properly. Why wouldn't compassionate-minded Buddhists support the use of a healing, natural, herbal, non-addictive medicine such as marijuana to treat symptoms of medical conditions?

~i bow to the buddha within all beings~

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

ThePpss said...

Hm...as I read your posts from time to time I've understood that you have suffered from psychiatric illness. I suppose I think who am i to judge but still...marijuana has been discussed for and backa so many times from different perspectives. So I'm sure we can find as many plus as minus with it and its' effects. Personally I'm against all kinds of drugs, especially those that alters consciousness in chemical ways. To me this is not what will lead us "right" eventually. But at the same time... if we have to choose between pest and cholera (or maybe you say between a rock and a hard place)marijuana is better than comitting suicide. So again I'm just saying but at the same time I'm not the one to judge...

sincerely, Petra

Johann said...

With what else should drug dealer deal if not with drugs... The addicted will love and vote for it and the dealer get the voting crowd.

Emerty said...

Legality is just a construct, a theory of human creation to control and protect the population. It is not based on truth.

Marijuana has been proven to alleviate some medical conditions and worsen others. The truthful thing to do would be to use it without smoking - as this has been been proven to cause harm - as a medicine for the appropriate condition whilst being mindful of the possibility for recreational abuse.

Just my thoughts, I have a chronic pain condition and have used/use alcohol and marijuana in both beneficial and harmful ways.

Adaline Smith said...

Nice Post ! Your whole blog is so informative about Medical Marijuana. Great work keep posting...

ShareThis Option